Tea, museums and Ben Platt!

 I will be leaving in 10 days for the longest trip of my lifetime.

3.5 weeks. London. UK by rail. Exploring Scotland.

When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was travel. My biggest dream was to be a foreign correspondent someday and report on stories as I worked my way around the globe.  When we were raising the family, there wasn't a lot of time or resources for that.  So once the kids were launched, I decided to go after the travel dream... hard. In the last decade I have been to many places: France, Portugal, Italy, Spain, Austria, Germany, etc.  I have generally gone somewhere in Europe every two years and my list has been growing.  Much of it I have done with my daughters, some with Bob. But a good portion has been on my own.

For this trip, I will be spending seven days alone in London and another week exploring the UK before Bob joins me for another 10 days in Scotland.

If you had to ask me what I am most excited about this very moment, it would be Midnight at the Never Get.  I will be seeing this show at the Menier Chocolate Factory in London. The seating capacity is 90. Yes, 90.  I am seated in Row A, which included a warning that I will be right next to the stage and this may include engagement wth the star.

Did I mention the star is Ben Platt?

Yes, I will be right next to one of my favorite Broadway singers as he performs in a cabaret setting for 90 people.

It's a hardship.

Beyond that, I will be seeing three other shows in London, taking in many, many museums, walking a lot and also having tea.  I expect to be posting frequently on Facebook and here on my travel blog.  I will be staying in Covent Garden (below) and don't expect to be doing much resting while in London.

As for Scotland, Bob will be joining me (!!) and wants to see things people usually don't see.  So we will be playing that a bit by ear as we navigate the roads and explore Inverness, Edinburgh and the Isle of Skye.

I love traveling. But I would argue I love -- almost as much - the thought of traveling. I spend months on my plans, putting together tours, figuring out what  want to see, reading the history and getting excited.  Since Christmas, I have spent hundreds of hours planning, particularly focusing on all I am going to see in London. So I ended up with a trip that includes Ben Platt, Hamilton for my fourth time (because Leslie Odom Jr. is back as Burr!), Cate Blanchett and a fabulous new musical about Frank Sinatra.  I also have booked tours, museum visits and more.  Whenever I get frustrated or anything in life throws me a curveball? My therapy is planning and dreaming of London.

Sometimes life can be tough. This year has had some challenges. And I look forward with great gusto, joy and excitement to getting on that plane and exploring it all.

Including seeing Ben Platt with 89 other people.

I will be posting soon!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving bad travel karma

It can be a real adventure ... having a life.

Grand Canyon, Here I Come!